Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (for nursing mamas)
A chapter in my life is possibly coming to an end…and I am honestly a little sad about it. Poppy is turning ONE in a less than two weeks and our nursing days are coming to a close. She is way more interested in playing with her brother and sister or eating at the table with the crew than she is in snuggling with me. I know everyone has different thoughts and feeling on weaning little ones, for us it’s always happened around a year and that works for us! We all do what we know is best for our babies, and a fed baby (however that may be) is a happy baby! I’ve had a few hiccups along the way where I needed to boost my supply and these lactation oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (along with A LOT of water) seem to do the trick. which is why I will send cookies the next few months.
**And as an added bonus, you can make these without the brewer’s yeast and they are perfectly WONDERFUL cookies. Everyone in our house enjoys them!
I found the recipe on Genius Kitchen and modified it a little bit based on what I had in the pantry and trying to keep the sugar in check. It’s a perfect activity for “Make it Monday!” around here. We always bake on Mondays after naptime to pass the hardest two hours of the day waiting on daddy to come home. You can check out the recipe below. I hope they work for you too and carry you a little further in your nursing journey.
- 2 sticks of softened butter (one cup)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar firmly packed
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp of flax seed meal
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups of old fashion oats
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)
- 4 tbsp brewer's yeast
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl pour water and flax seed and allow to sit for about 5 minutes
- In another bowl beat softened butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy
- Add in eggs and mix well
- Then add flaxseed mix and vanilla until well combined
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt and brewer's yeast
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time until well combined
- Fold in oats and chocolate chips
- Using a 1 inch cookie scoop, spoon and place onto a baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack before eating
- You could also add nuts for a little extra crunch!
- To make these "lactation free," simply leave out the brewer's yeast.
As I mentioned III and the big kids loved these cookies so it was a win-win for us all. He thought at first they were healthy since they were for boosting my supply, but once I listed off the ingredient…he realized not so much! But they are delicious! The flax seed, brewer’s yeast, and oats are all great for boosting your supply! Happy nursing mamas.