Stuffed Taco Bell Peppers
Yall, I cooked dinner! And it had more than two ingredients (unlike this 2 ingredient pizza dough)…I’m a little proud of myself. We are definitely settling in to life as a family of 5. Last week was the final week we had friends bringing us dinner and it’s back to the real world. We are beyond grateful for almost two months worth of 2-3 meals a week from our amazing friends! They are very talented cooks. And I will be sharing some of their recipes with you soon.
Poppy is still sleeping through the night like a champ (most nights) and loves being along for the ride as we are in and out with her big brother and sister! Today she visited the library and duck pond for the first time before picking Chickadee up from preschool. The quacking brought a smile to her face. Chickadee and Sprout have both had a fantastic start to their school year, and we are all settling into our new normal. We are loving every moment!
If you follow me on Instagram (@astepinthejourney) you might have seen our most recent garden goodies in the Instastories. Our bell peppers rocked it this year and there were about 6 of them ripe all at the same time. So working with what we had in the freezer and pantry I whipped up these stuffed taco bell peppers during nap time, and they even have a little quinoa to make you feel really good about yourself!
- 4 Bell Peppers, halved and de-seeded (is that a word?)
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1lb lean hamburger meat
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp homemade taco seasoning (link below!)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cooked quinoa
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1 can of corn (drained)
- 8 oz. bag of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Olive OIl
- In a skillet cook hamburger meat, chopped onions, and the one pepper you chopped. When the hamburger meat is cooked, drain the grease. Then add 2 tbsp of taco seasoning, salsa and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes then set aside to cool
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and lay out your halved peppers
- In a large bowl, mix together the seasoned hamburger meat, cooked quinoa, black beans, corn & about 1/2 a cup of cheddar cheese.
- Fill your pepper halves with the mixture and place in the oven for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes pull out and top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted!
These turned out really great, & while my kids weren’t feeling the stuffed pepper itself, they ate the filling right up! If you haven’t saved it before, here is a link to my homemade taco seasoning. I use it ALL THE TIME for Mexican/taco recipes. It’s great on ground turkey, ground beef, and chicken and since it’s homemade I know exactly what is in it.
I hope everyone’s week is off to a great start. We ate a casserole I had frozen tonight, but I have big plans to cook again tomorrow. Everyone send your prayers!