Broccoli Quinoa Chicken Casserole
Y’all know my love for the crock pot. With baby #3 coming in the new few weeks I am stock piling my crock pot recipes so I have some easy go to meals while figuring out our new normal with a 3 year old, 2 year old, and newborn. Are we crazy? I have no doubt life is going to be!! But honestly we can’t wait, we are ready to embrace the chaos. Any tips wrangling three littles are more than welcome! And recipes too!
I can’t wait to see what you share, however today, I have another recipe for you!
I feel like a lot of the time I only think about using my crock pot in the fall & winter months when it’s cool outside (unless I’m cooking a pork roast for bbq!). But this recipe is light, fluffy, full of flavor, and can be used year round!
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion
- 3/4 cup long grain brown rice (not quick-cooking or instant), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups/16 oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli, about 10oz
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Combine onion, rice & quinoa in bottom of your crock pot. Spread out in an even layer.
- Place diced chicken on top of mixture.
- In a separate bowl mix garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Then sprinkle over chicken.
- Pour in chicken broth and water. Be sure that all of the rice is covered by the liquid.
- Cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 3.5 - 4 hours until the rice and fluffy and the liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Steam the broccoli according to package instructions.
- While broccoli is cooking mix the cheeses into the crock pot mixture.
- Last add the broccoli, stir together and serve.
It turned out really great! Chickadee was a little skeptical at first (she isn’t the biggest broccoli fan), but she tried her “three bites because she is three,” and decided she would finish it off! WIN! Definitely one to keep on hand in the future months, and I am sure if there are any new mamas in your life they would love for you to drop off a dish just like this! Throw a bag salad and some chocolate chip cookies in the bag and they would be, oh so very thankful!