Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Hey friends! How are you? I am enjoying a peaceful naptime..these have been rare lately due to little man getting his 2 year molars, but the one giving him trouble has seemed to finally break through and we are all getting some relief. Teething is the worst! But we will not let it defeat us & are thankful for a mouth full of healthy teeth.
I think I’ve mentioned before that I kind of have a routine of activities that get us through afternoons/witching hour as we wait for dad to get home from work. If not, I need to share more details….Mondays are reserved for baking and lately we have been making a lot of muffins. They make great snacks for the week and are such an easy way to sneak in healthy goodness. Plus they look really pretty sitting on the counter under the glass topped cake stand & give the illusion that our life is somewhat put together :)
These banana muffins are our FAVORITE, especially with a few chocolate chips, but you can also find us making blueberry muffins, applesauce muffins, these carrot & cranberry muffins, pumpkin muffins, and even an occasional lemon poppy seed. A few weeks ago we added another recipe to our rotation, apple cinnamon muffins. Chopped apples, brown sugar, and a little maple syrup…you can’t go wrong! Here is the scoop.
- 1 large red apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1.5 tsp of baking powder
- 1.5 cups of whole wheat all purpose flour
- 2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick of softened butter
- 1/2 packed light brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Using a mixer cream together softened butter, sugar and maple syrup
- Add in vanilla and eggs
- Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, then baking powder
- Finally add in the milk. Mix until well combined
- In a SEPARATE bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Use liners or grease regular sized muffin tins
- Fill each muffin hole 1/4 full with mixture.
- Then top with 1/2 the diced apples & pat down.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture
- Cover apples with an equal amount of mixture as before.
- Top with more remaining apples and then the cinnamon sugar mixture and pat it down.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool before eating
They are truly delicious! I first found this recipe on All Recipes, and knew with a few tweaks (like reducing the sugar) I could make them perfect for our family. I love substituting things like unsweetened applesauce, raw organic honey, or organic pure maple syrup for sugar in my recipes. You still get the sweetness, but it isn’t as terrible for you. I can’t say it’s healthy, but better than white sugar! This recipe would also be great as apple cinnamon loaf bread, you could follow the same directions, but just pour into a 9×5 loaf pan and cook for a little longer (probably 45-50 minutes)! Enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Apple Cinnamon Muffins”
I usually did this recipe without the maple syrup, but wow! It tastes amazing when adding it.
The muffins look so good and easy to make I know I will be making these we love muffins.Hope the little 2 year old is doing better with his teeth. I LOVE your website.