Mexican Chicken Taco Bake
Yesterday was III’s 33rd birthday! It was a great day (he was off work), and I hope to write up a quick recap soon. Birthdays should ALWAYS be celebrated, no matter the age! He took to the grill for dinner but when we were brainstorming what he might like this taco chicken bake came up. It is a new dish at our house and was a big hit.
The kids love most foods considered “Mexican.” Nachos are probably their favorite and this bake is a pretty close second. I try to do some type of Mexican dish a few times a month to satisfy all of our cravings! The beauty of this casserole bake is that you can really specify it to your families liking.
- Tortilla Chips
- 1.5 - 2 cups of cooked & shredded chicken
- 1 cup of Salsa
- 1 .5 tbsp Taco seasoning
- 1/2 - 3/4 can of black beans
- 1 can of Rotel
- 3/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of monterey jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet heat shredded chicken, taco seasoning, 3/4 cup of salsa, 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non stick spray. Line the bottom with slightly crushed tortilla chips.
- In a bowl combine cooked chicken mixture, the rest of the salsa, Rotel, black beans (amount to your liking), sour cream, 1/2 cup of cheese and any other ingredients you would like (jalapenos, sauteed peppers and onions, etc.).
- Spread half of the mixture over the tortilla chips. Then repeat with another layer of tortilla chips and the rest of the mixture.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Then top with crushed tortilla chips and remaining cheese and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
I think it’s served best with a little sour cream and guacamole. Also, I mention taco seasoning in the ingredient list. I love making my own…it’s SO easy! Here is the spice breakdown.