Homemade SKILLET Macaroni and Cheese
This past weekend we got together with some friends. They were making bbq chicken sliders and asked us to bring a side. What goes better with bbq than macaroni and cheese, so I told them I’d bring it over. However, there was a small problem….and I can’t even believe that I am admitting this, but yall, I’ve never made homemade macaroni and cheese. I always like to let me friend Kraft help me out.
But no more! Yall this was so easy and III has been talking about it ever since. I actually made it again three days later (on a WEEKNIGHT, no less)! Okay, now you don’t have to make it in a cast iron skillet, but if you do, it looks even better :o)
Here is the skinny on this probably not so skinny but delicous dish!
- 2 cups of macaroni or elbow pasta (or really any kind you would like)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups of 2% or whole milk
- 1.5 cups of cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of shredded swiss or mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- 2. boil your pasta according to package directions
- 3. In your skillet melt the butter
- 4. When melted add in your flour and stir around until it browns (1-2 minutes)
- 5. Then stir in your milk, salt, and pepper and wisk until the flour is not longer lumpy
- 6. Add the cheese and stir until melted
- 7. Drain pasta and add to the melted cheese mixture, mix together.
- 8. If cooking in your skillet you can place it directly into the oven, if not pour into a greased 8x8 baking dish.
- 9. Cook for 25 minutes or until browned.
- 10. ENJOY!
It’s really sooo easy and you will not regret making this dish for a second. You could even add some sausage and tomatoes or chicken and broccoli and make tonight’s dinner a one dish meal! I’d love to know what you would add to this tasty macaroni and cheese?