Pretzel Fried Chicken
So this is how everything went down. III takes his lunch to work most days and so in efforts to mix up the chip variety that goes with his sandwich I bought one of those variety packs with the individual chip bags inside. I went the “healthy chip” route and found a variety that included baked chips and pretzels. Well you can guess which went first….the baked Cheetos, SunChips, Baked Doritos, etc. And who was left hanging out at the bottom of the bag???? the pretzels of course. So I was thinking if we weren’t feeling them as a side dish to the PB&J what else could they do? And that is when it hit me. Crushed pretzels would be perfect with their little bit of salty goodness as a crust for fried chicken. And that is how my recipe for Pretzel Fried Chicken came to be. The End.
Yall, it was so delicious! III kept going on and on and asked if I would make it again next week :o) Yes, please.
- 2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or one per person eating)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 - 1 cup of crushed pretzels (depending on how many pieces you are making)
- Chili Powder
- A High Temperature Cooking Oil (Canola Oil)
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 1. In a food processor chop your pretzels until they appear like bread crumbs, pour onto a place or shallow bowl
- 2. Add a couple shakes of pepper and chili powder, mix
- 3. In a separate bowl wisk together two eggs and 1/4 cup of milk
- 4. Rinse and pat dry your chicken
- Set everything aside
- 5. Add about 1/2 inch of oil to your cast iron skillet and heat on medium to high heat.
- 6. To prepare your chicken dip it in the egg mixture and then coat both sides with the pretzel mixture.
- 7. Once the oil starts to pop, turn down the heat slightly and place the chicken into the skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Make sure and cut the chicken to make sure it has been cooked throughout!
This is really a perfect summer recipe. We are so glad the weather is staying warm in these parts. Walks are becoming a daily ritual for Chickadee, Max, and me, which is quite a good thing seeing how I now need to be walking off some fried chicken! Happy weekend friends :o)