IKEA Hack…Tarva Dresser Makeover
How is 2014 treating everyone? We are off to a good start and hoping tonight when Auburn (cross our fingers) beats Florida State tonight in the National Championship game it will be even better! Regardless it’s always great to be an Auburn tiger!
I still have several projects from 2013 I want to share with you, starting with this IKEA hack dresser makeover for little chickadee’s nursery. So as simply as possible let me tell you how this happened.
We picked up the TARVA unfinished wooden dresser at IKEA for $149.99. Everything at IKEA always seems like such a great deal. Then you put it together and realize why it’s so inexpensive. Thankfully since I was about 7 months pregnant III and my sister did most of the assembly work! It only took 3.5 hours :o)
This piece would look beautiful stained with some fun hand painted knobs (which you could probably find on sale at Hobby Lobby). But I had a different idea in mind. I started by priming and painting the dresser (minus drawer fronts) a teal/mint/green color. It’s Behr from Home Depot but I don’t remember the exact name, I can find out if you would like to know. The drawers got a crisp coat of white paint.
Next I cut out the fabric (from Hobby Lobby) in a rectangle two inches smaller in length and width than the drawer fronts. I attached the fabric in the center of the drawer using a spray adhesive made by Krylon.
I picked up general purpose screen moulding and 5/8″ wire brads at Home Depot as well to add a little dimension to the drawer fronts. I painted all of the moulding white before I started cutting. After measuring the length I needed each piece I used a miter box and hand saw to cut each piece at a 45 degree angle.
I attached the moulding to the drawer fronts using the 5/8″ brads, every 6 inches or so. Then I used this patch and paint to fill in the corners and nail holes.
After another coat of paint on the trim all that was left was attaching the knobs!
I absolutely LOVE how the dresser turned out. One of a kind, you might say! The dresser is a little bigger than I thought it would be, but every drawer is filled to the brim, so I’m glad we went with this six drawer size.