The Perfect Lemon Bars
While at the beach with my family my dad made homemade lemon ice cream. It is AMAZING and hopefully I’ll share this recipe with you one day, but I can’t take any credit. It did however get me on a lemon kick, so when I saw this recipe in Better Homes in Gardens I wanted lemon bars….and I wanted them know!
I kept the bones of the recipe, but made a few minor adjustments.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1/2 confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Mix together 2 cups of flour with 1/2 of confectioner's sugar. Slice the butter and add to the mixture creating a pie like crust.
- 3. Grease a 9x11 baking dish. Press dough into the bottom and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- 4. In a separate bowl mix together 4 tablespoons of flour, white sugar, lemon juice, eggs, and lemon zest.
- 5. Pour mixture over the baked crust.
- 6. Bake the bars 25 - 30 minutes until set.
- 7. Allow to cool and then dust with confectioner's.
- **The filling will look soupy and you will worry it won't set, but it will....it might need to bake a little longer than 30 minutes depending on your oven.
If you want the lemon bars to be a little thicker you can use a smaller pan. They really turned out rather tasty! Oh, and over a day or so the confectioner’s sugar on top melts into the bars….feel free to add more! I did!