We had such a fun Valentines Day loving on each other & treating ourselves to some good heart shaped food (chicken biscuits, sandwiches, pizza) & a few sweets (cookie cake!). That means the rest of the week will be filled with healthier choices to make up for the damage. I know that healthy can sometimes be hard because a lot of the time healthy means more expensive and more time consuming, but I want to share with you a recipe today that debunks that thought! (This meal takes cost about $10 and took about 45 minutes start to finish!) I try to do these “one pan” meals at least once a week. It makes for easy cooking and quick clean up! I make sure and put at least one thing on the pan that I know the kids really enjoy so that even if they aren’t feeling the whole pan, what they choose to fill up on is still good for them.
This week we are eating garlic crusted chicken strips with sweet potatoes and green beans. Sprout can eat his weight in sweet potatoes and Chickadee is always up for chicken (I suppose it’s quite an appropriate nickname for her0.
This recipe fed our family of four….we ate it all (probably had one extra chicken strip that could have been left over but III rarely lets food go unfinished unless it’s enough to be true leftovers)!
You’ll need 1 package (about 6-8) of chicken strips, 1 sweet potato, and a solid double palm full of fresh green beans. You’ll need to peel, slice, and dice the sweet potato and snap the stringy ends off the green beans. For the chicken pour one bowl of olive oil and a tablespoon of minced garlic and in the other bowl add Italian bread crumbs.
Dip the chicken in the olive oil/garlic mixture first, then coat in bread crumbs before placing on a pan covered with parchment paper. The sweet potatoes and green beans will go on the other half of the pan. Toss them in olive oil and garlic salt.
This chicken and veggie combination is packed with flavor. I love the taste and the ease of these one pan or one pot dinners! I am actually making another one later this week with pork tenderloin I’ll share with you soon.
- 6-8 chicken strips
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/3 lb of fresh green beans
- Garlic Salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a shallow bowl pour about 1/4 cup of olive oil and add 1 tablespoon of minced garlic (2-3 cloves). In a second shallow bowl pour 1/2 cup of Italian breadcrumbs. Dip chicken strips first in oilve oil mixture and then in the breadcrumbs making sure to coat both sides well. Line down one side of the baking sheet. Sprinkle the top with extra basil if you would like!
- Peel, slice and dice the sweet potato and snap the ends off the green beans. Place on the other half of the baking sheet. Toss in oilve oil and sprinkle generously with garlic salt.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, turning the chicken and tossing the veggies about half way through until chicken is golden brown and veggies are roasted. Remove from the oven and serve warm!