Sprout has been really starting to talk a lot lately, he probably has about 15-20 words in his vocabulary. It’s crazy…he is talking a lot sooner than Chickadee I feel like, maybe because he is trying to keep up with his big sister! And although I wish I could say “mama” was his favorite….it’s not. SNACK! SNACK! He wakes up and goes straight for the refrigerator or pantry yelling “snack!” He sees a treat in the diaper bag while we are out and about and starts yelling “snack!” The boy loves to eat….it’s like he is in a constant state of growing. He probably is.
I made these oatmeal energy balls a few days ago in hopes I could satisfy little man’s appetite. They are packed full of protein and the kids gobbled them right up! Win. Win.
- 1 1/4 cup of organic old fashion oats
- 2/3 cup of natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of ground flax seed (I buy Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1/2 semisweet chocolate chips (you could substitute dried cranberries also)
- 1/3 cup of local honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Stir all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well combined. Then cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes
- After chilling use your hands (or a small ice cream scoop) to form a ball
- Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container....I would eat them within a week of making, but ours are usually gone a lot sooner!
We’ve been giving these out as snacks, but they also are a great addition to breakfast or lunch! You could also push them down into a cookie shape and tell your kids they are cookies. With the chocolate chips they will never know it’s good for them too!
So what are your favorite go to snacks for the kids?